Monday, June 14, 2010

Why Blog?


I have wanted to start a blog for years. I love writing, I have ideas I want to share, and I believe in the power of words to inform, engage, inspire.

But I did not just want to blog for the sake of blogging.

I was not interested in having an online diary, accessible to everyone, where I recorded every thought, every hope, every dream, every fear, failure, frustration, every menial detail of my day-to-day existence to satisfy the growing number of insatiable voyeurs who are consumed by the need to observe, judge, and analyze other people’s lives.

I did not want to participate in the reality TV of blogging.

So, I waited.

I waited until I felt I had something to say, to show, to share. Something that spoke to me and that I felt would speak to others. Something that I was passionate about and wanted to write about, think about, wonder about, and talk about. Something I wanted to blog about.

The answer came to me one sunny Sunday, the day after I attended the
I Can Do It Conference, a conference that focuses on wellness - physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.

The conference, which I attended alone, reawakened within me the deep-rooted desire to regain balance, to seek wellness, and to be a positive force on this achingly beautiful planet.

Out of the thousands of conference participants, I seemed to be the, or one of the, youngest. Most of the attendees were middle-aged women and, though I was not surprised by this, I was somewhat saddened.

Where were the twenty-somethings? The recent graduates? The ones just now crossing the threshold into adulthood? The ones who know better than their parents and grand-parents? The ones concerned with balance and wellness and fairness and peace? The ones starting careers, starting families? The ones who have the power to tackle things from a different angle, from a more conscious place? The ones who hold the key to a new kind of existence?

I know they are out there, these intelligent, insightful, young people who feel a power stirring within them and who know they can
do better. These people are my friends, my colleagues, my classmates. But they are absent. They are busy.

But I am here. And I am open. And I am ready.

So here is my blog about wellness, the seeking of it and the sharing of it. It will, I hope, resonate with everyone but especially with those bright, young minds - the Generation Y-ers (“why” ers) - who need to learn from past mistakes and choose another way of life.

After all, the wellness of our world depends on the wellness of its people.

It is up to us.


***
This week’s affirmation: I seek the good in every experience and I share the good with others.

Special mention: Today is my brother Adam's birthday. Adam is one of the most genuinely caring and loving people I have ever known. Bonne fĂȘte Adam!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading more of your journey. we could all use a little wellness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing this. Be well. xo

    ReplyDelete